Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Last (cardboard) Stand in Courtenay


Saturday November 3

This is it. Today is the last show to wrap up Homewerk Tour 2012! We’re staying in a Best Western on Cliffe Avenue, which coincidentally is the same street where we find our Courtenay performance venue, the Sid Williams Theatre.


Courtenay...how to describe it? A bustling little big fishing-town island.  I suppose when you’re stationed in Vancouver, every town seems like a “small town”. What I have learned on this tour is that the size of a town is correlated with its number of big banks. CIBC? BMO? Yes, we’ll find dinner. I even happened upon a live jazz trio at a café at 9pm on the first evening.



While falling asleep last night to Darcy serenading me on her ukulele, I decided I’d wake up early and go for a run. However, in the deep darkness that was our hotel room this morning, that didn’t quite happen. Call time was just around noon so I got some stretching in before we headed off.

It was a pretty full day in the theatre, so photos are severely limited, I’m afraid.  The theatre is beautiful even though the stage is certainly the smallest we’ve performed on yet.  Tech was as per usual, except for one big thing—our cardboard tables were missing. Loading into the theatre yesterday we were stunned to find that a part of our set didn’t make it. And so Bruce, Jennifer and Darcy had the fun task of hunting someone down in Vancouver who would be willing to haul three large cardboard set pieces onto the ferry and over into Courtenay. The winner? Jennifer’s husband, John, who heroically threw open the backstage doors at around 4pm with our boxes in tow.

As we did tech,  I realized this was the first (and I suppose will be the last) time I got to hear the Nail to House lecture in full. I think it really is an incredible journey into Jennifer’s mind and creative process. I love what she says about contact improvisation bringing dance from a visual art back into a physical art, about what stories we choose to tell on stage, about collaboration and about how the audience provides form with content. Prior to the show, Jennifer delivered each of us gifts, a package of homemade cards with an image on the front of our cast performing at the Russian Hall!

The show itself was a tricky one with my sprained hip flexor and as we battled our cardboard partners on the small stage. At one point Lexi and my cardboard got jammed between the stage’s floor panels at the exact same time. It was so perfect I nearly burst out laughing. We had a wonderful Q&A session with a curious older crowd who asked some nifty questions about choreography, improvisation and the history of the work. Questions like, what is your favourite moment with the cardboard? really made me think about the relationship I had developed with these cumbersome things. Someone else asked, do you miss home? And funny enough, I do.

The afterparty we took to a posh little restaurant where, over margaritas, we reminisced jovially about all the things that went wrong with the cardboard that evening. With daylight savings time on our side, no one was particularly rushed to depart from celebrations.



Back at the hotel, I went hunting for ice in the middle of night, when I bumped into a woman stretching in the hallway. Turned out it was our videographer from this evening!  We spoke for what must’ve been almost an hour. She works in film but a part of her wishes she had chosen dance as her career path. She urged me to get in touch with her daughter in Vancouver, an avid recreational dancer. She asked me about what this tour had been like, why I dance, how I started and what now?  It was a fitting conversation to end this epic cardboard adventure. I hobbled back to the room to be serenaded by Darcy’s ukulele and pack for home, for the last time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment