Saturday, January 21, 2012

First we take Kelowna….then we take Golden.

I sit in the middle of a large living room in Golden. The cast are playing the piano on my right, singing "….this morning the hotel pillow was all up in my face…." I love these folks. A fireplace on my left warms the entire house. The snow is constant outside.

The most challenging part of this tour has been driving in the snow. We counted 6 semi-trailers and 3 cars that had been abandoned off the side of the road. Many highways have closed. The trip from Vancouver to Kelowna, a four and a half hour drive according to google maps, took ten hours. Alastair commented that in a way he's glad that nature can still get in the way of our best laid plans. I agree. I think the human race had better get used to that.

Our first show in Kelowna was for Catholic school kids, a demographic that I am personally frightened of, or at least afraid of offending. After all, one of my characters is a washed up alcoholic lounge singer, who warns people that the virgin martinis at the bar are a gyp. "I thought I was getting a virgin and a martini." Needless to say, I cut her monologue way back.

I had no reason to be scared of the kids. They loved the show. Kids are the best kind of hecklers; they answer every question the players ask; they fill the black outs with "what happens next??"; and without any prompting, they voted on which couple they thought should win the marathon. Also they were inspired to start a dance party in the intermission, which is one of my hopes for the show in action.






I'll sign off for tonight, though there is always more to say. I suppose that's the point of a blog. I have never blogged before. In the FB, twitter, blogging, social media universe I am mostly a luddite by choice. Glad that this is my first. Thanks Caroline, and good evening everyone out there.










2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kat - great blog post :)

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think you covered a lot of ground in this post, especially for a luddite:) I was just watching this teaser of yours that Kicking Horse Culture posted, great video! Here, I'll post it up there....

    ReplyDelete